Are you thinking of selling your home and moving to your next dream location? You might be thinking of prices and listings and how you could improve your home value. What if we told you there is a way of gaining profit when relocating? The answer lies in these two words: home staging. If you are one of those who do not believe in staging a home, you might want to think again. Numbers say that hiring the right real estate stager can add an extra $10,000 to $70,000 to your home’s selling price. Home staging has a proven rate of effectiveness to help sell your home faster and for more money.
We will list here the top 10 reasons why home staging is so effective in selling your home:
- A professional home stager can increase the perceived value of your home and can help you sell your property faster.
- Professional home staging will justify the listing price of your property in the eyes of prospective buyers.
- An impartial, third-party person such as a home stager is crucial when it comes to decluttering your house of the unnecessary. Or when recommending reparation of the parts of your home that you love, but won’t change, stands in the way of your best value.
- A professional home stager is not emotionally attached so they will see your house the way it is and will know how to resolve all its flaws. They see your home as the buyers will see it.
- A professional home stager has the training and experience to best showcase the property. They know all the latest design trends and what the market requires.
- Professional home stagers have an unlimited range of furniture in order to showcase your property in the most beautiful way possible.
- Professional home stagers know how to highlight the best features of the house.
- They can be your insurance by helping you eliminate the possibility of a price reduction or a double mortgage payment.
- Professional home stagers have industry partners like painters, carpet cleaners, and other tradesmen. You might need all of them to best prepare your home for sale. You can even get some discounts because stagers are their best customers.
- Home staging can relieve you from the stress and worries from all of this, making this transition easy, and stress-free.
Good home staging brings a few extra things to the mix
Similar to an interior decorator, with expertise in planning and choosing colours, fabrics, and furniture, a home stager knows how to spruce up your home to make it look magazine ready. But beware the trap: the stager is not focused on creating a home that suits your personal taste. They are here to make your relocation easier, which means they don’t prep your house to accommodate your needs and everyday comforts, instead, they are experts on making your home appeal to a broad range of tastes. The idea is for the stager’s work to help people fall in love with your place and want to buy it.
More specifically, here’s what a pro might do during home staging to get your house ready for sale:
- They will examine your home entirely and explain—usually in a written report—all the requirements to get it ready. You and the stager can than review the project and costs, and develop a plan of action.
- A stager will identify specific ways to highlight your home’s best features and compensate for its shortcomings.
- Some items of your furniture and household possessions may stay in the house and some might get removed before an open house or showing. You’ll either have to move into storage the majority of your possessions, in order to depersonalize your house. This will be much easier if you’ve already moved into your next house.
- They’ll help you schedule repairs or other major work on your home by hiring contractors, painters, or landscapers, and will oversee their work. Note that you will pay their bills separately.
- A home stager has an amazing inventory of in furniture, art work, curtains, carpets, pillows, art, flowers, and even a welcoming doormat. Many stagers have warehouses of this stuff, all carefully matched and chosen to make your house feel like a place where people can live their dream life.
- The finishing touches before an open house will be carefully selected and checked by your home stager. For example, home staging magic means adding fresh flowers, or putting a pie in the oven on low heat in order to send delicious aromas through the house.
Signing an agreement on home staging
If and when you sign such an agreement, make sure it specifies which of these services will be included. Keep in mind that they’re only manipulating the aesthetic feel of your house. You still have a responsibility to be open and honest about the house’s physical condition. Both in your disclosure statements and in your direct approach to buyers.
Think of it this way: you have a house to sell, and anyone would want to make it look its best. Perhaps you’ll even provide new owners with fresh ideas about how they’ll want to redecorate.
Great news: home staging benefits you whether the market is hot or cold
A well-decorated, dream looking house will receive lots of positive attention, and probably sell very quickly. This will happen whether the market is cold or hot. In a cold market, buyers don’t have to settle for anything less than the best. In a hot market, buyers focus on the most popular property of the week and will ignore the others. So home staging will help you make your property be the hot one, with buyers giving all they have in an effort to outbid each other.
Should you do the home staging yourself?
We shouldn’t assume you don’t already own elegant furniture. Maybe your house is adorned with exquisite accessories. You may have an excellent eye for decorating yourself. In this case, you might be able to reproduce the work of a stager. That means you pocket the fee (normally in the thousands of dollars). Some home stagers will cut their fee, though, if they use a big portion of your furniture instead of theirs.
Is it worth it?
But like with other challenges that selling your home presents, calculate if it’s worth your time and effort. Even if your house is in good shape, you’ll inevitably waste time on the smallest of things. You’ll have to obsess over the basic things. Like choosing new paint colours, finding and hiring workers, and shopping for the perfect candle holders. The hours you’ll spend on these tasks add up. And you still have decorate your new dream home! Not to even mention packing and moving, which could be so much easier with the help of Tri State One Rate experts. On the other hand, hiring a stager means that most of it will happen like magic. That way you can turn your attention to more important matters.
If you decide to hire a home staging pro, make sure to get recommendations. Always interview several before committing. You will not regret it if you opt for all the benefits of home staging. In the end, it can add so much more value to your relocating process.