People decide to rent a storage unit for many reasons. For example, they’re moving and looking for a place to store belongings temporarily. Or people just want to store the items they are not using and avoid clutter. No matter what is your reasons, you probably want to find a cheap storage unit, but safe at the same time. So, here are some tips and tricks on how to find a cheap storage unit in Brooklyn.
How to find a cheap storage unit in Brooklyn?
To get a deal on your storage unit, consider renting it from a newly-built facility. Because these facilities usually have fewer customers, so the price will probably go down. Besides, new facilities often give some special promotions and discounts. And this will save you even more money. More established facilities already have customers, and there is no need for them to give discounts to attract people. Also, to get a better deal, you may consider learning how to declutter your home for storage. Because of the fewer items you have, the smallest unit size you need. Therefore the price is lower.
Pick the storage units that are a little farther away
People that use their self-storage unit frequently usually pick the one that is the closest. But, this is often the more expensive option, and they pay a premium price for it. Instead, when moving household goods to Clinton Hill for example, and you need storage, choose the one that is a little bit further away. This is an excellent choice if you’re not going to need regular access to your unit. Most likely rates will be lower, and you might even keep some of the higher-end amenities.
Don’t pick climate control storage unit to save money
There are so many reasons why should you rent a storage unit, and a climate-controlled option is one of them. It’s perfect for safely storing items that can be damaged by weather conditions and other factors. For example electronics, wooden and leather furniture, artwork, musical instruments, etc. But, on the other hand, if you don’t have these items or you’re not planning to store them, this might not be the way to go. Because these type of units are more expensive than standard ones. So try finding one that doesn’t include climate control in its amenities.
Don’t choose the unit with drive-up access
There are so many advantages of renting storage when moving. One of those advantages is the possibility of a drive-up unit. People find this easily accessible and convenient. But, these types of units are also the more expensive one. So, if you want to learn how to find a cheap storage unit, always go with the ones that are a little harder to reach. Of course, this is a little more inconvenient when carrying items upstairs or into a building. But it could be worth saving the money. Plus, there are also some advantages when having an indoor storage unit. They are safer from robbers because they are not accessible from the street. So, if you have friends that are willing to help you get your belongings into a building, or up to stairs, avoid drive-up unit.
How to find a cheap storage unit – Consider the time of the year time
Just like when you’re moving out of Brooklyn and picking the right time of the year, storage units also have a slow season. For them, these are fall and winter months. It is the time when people are moving less. Therefore people are renting storage units fewer. Even if it’s not always easy to schedule the time you will need a cheap storage unit, you can save quite a lot if rent from September to March.
Choose the smallest possible unit
To find cheap storage you need to consider the unit size you’ll need. Many people overestimate the size of their items and end up picking and paying for a bigger unit than they require. But, if you pack your belongings efficiently and organize your unit, you will be able to fit into a fairly small space. For packing use stackable plastic totes and crates, label it with some masking tape, and you’ll stay organized.
Here you can find some sizes of storage units and see how much can fit in them:
- 5 x 5 – Here you can put some small furniture. Like dresser or a couple of end tables with some boxes.
- 5 x 10 – The size of these units is about the size of a walk-in closet. So you can store a mattress set, sofa, and boxes. It holds about the same amount as a cargo van.
- 7.5 x 10 – Here you can put belongings from a one-bedroom, little furnish apartment, with a washer and dryer.
- 10 x 10 – Heavily furnished one-bedroom will fit in this size of the unit. Along with major appliances and a couple of boxes.
- 10 x 15 – This is for a small house or two-bedroom apartment. Plus boxes, and no appliances.
- 10 x 20 – Two-to-three-bedroom apartment with appliance and furnish can fit into this unit.
- 10 x 25 – This unit size is for a large house with major appliances.
- The biggest is 10 x 30 – Here you can store a four or five-bedroom house.
Remember, when storing only consider the items you actually want in the long run. Because there is no point in storing something you will never need or use again. So, before you pack, do some decluttering. This will save money and space in your storage unit.
Other money-saving tips
- Buy yourself a lock – This will not save you much money, but it’s still worth. If you do it, you will avoid paying a higher price. But make sure you get a high-quality lock that won’t be easily broken!
- Do to a longer-term rental – Long terms rental, like a year or more, usually result with a discount on your monthly rental rates. So, if you know you’ll be gone for a while, commit.
Compare companies for a cheap self-storage unit
Make sure you look at multiple storage units before you make the final decision. You can make a list of the facilities and their prices. Also, make sure you read online reviews from customers to have a more realistic picture of them. Also, pick the unit with necessary licenses and registrations. And, when looking for a cheap storage unit, make sure that security is good. Because you also want your items to be protected and kept safe.